Green Coffee Beans supplements are named to have a mythological power and bring some real benefits. Green coffee beans became known as the crude and natural sibling of the popular cafe that is part of the daily lives of millions of people worldwide. There is this myth about green coffee that is a miracle supplement for healthy weight loss and achieving the dream body.
These statements have their beginning from the advertisement on popular shows in the US. The green coffee extract comes from the green coffee beans and it contains all the components of the ordinary coffee, but with a different distribution. The chlorogenic acid is dominant.
The chlorogenic acid in green coffee is ready for direct absorption into the body. This acid and its metabolites are the primary reason for the beneficial effects of green coffee. Green coffee contains also other active ingredients.
The most important are epicatechin and catechin, forming 25% of total polyphenols. These antioxidants are the primary active components in green tea. Caffeine is another predominant part. Green coffee is considered raw, while the standard black coffee, used for popular beverage, is actually roasted beans.
That is why the structure and the major components are changed. The main impact of green coffee is the improvement of glycemic control, reflected in slowing the collapse of carbohydrates into glucose and improving their uptake by the body.
A slight decrease in insulin secretion has been found as a secondary effect. In the following lines, we will analyze the main ingredients in green coffee and its real benefits that will ultimately prove to be quite a few.
Top 5 Best Selling Green Coffee Bean Supplements
Buy on iHerb
Buy on Amazon
Purely Inspired Green Coffee+
Jarrow Formulas Green Coffee Bean Extract
Bio Nutrition Pure Green Coffee Bean
Life Extension CoffeeGenic Green Coffee Extract
Source Naturals Green Coffee Extract
What Is Green Coffee
The green coffee extract comes from the green coffee beans and it contains all the components of the ordinary coffee, but with a different distribution. The chlorogenic acid is dominant. Chlorogenic acid is a compound between the quinine and caffeine acid and is found in all types of coffee, bamboo, potatoes, hawthorn and some fruits - such as apples, pears, tomatoes, blueberries, and strawberries.
The chlorogenic acid in green coffee is ready for direct absorption into the body. This acid and its metabolites are the primary reason for the beneficial effects of green coffee. Chlorogenic acid is about 7-12% of the total mass of the coffee prior to treatment for extraction, i.e. from raw beans.
It is also about 40% of the total amount of all the polyphenols. Green coffee contains also other active ingredients. The most important are epicatechin and catechin, forming 25% of total polyphenols. These antioxidants are the primary active components in green tea. Caffeine is another predominant part. Tryptophan, rutin, and terpene are in much lower doses.
How Does the Green Coffee Beans Extract Work
It has been found that the green coffee extract goes easily into the gastrointestinal tract, as its active ingredient, chlorogenic acid, has a relatively high degree of absorption- more than 30%.
After oral intake of green coffee, half of the chlorogenic acid gets metabolized rapidly into caffeinated and ferulic acid. A very small percentage continues to function in the body in its original form.
The rate of metabolism, however, is individual in different individuals, but chlorogenic acid and its metabolites are detected in the body even 24 hours after intake. The other half is metabolized into benzoic (hippuric) acid. These three major metabolites are responsible for most benefits of green coffee.
Green Coffee vs. Black Coffee
Green coffee is considered raw, while the standard black coffee, used for popular beverage, is actually roasted beans. That is why the structure and the major components are changed.
Unlike green coffee, caffeine in coffee black presents a far greater percentage and the content of chlorogenic drops down to 7% of the total weight of the seed.
It is difficult to determine the quantities of all components because the content is often determined by the quality of the beans, the duration, and type of treatment.
Proven and Potential Benefits for People:
- The usage of the extract, providing 140 mg of chlorogenic acid per day in men with high blood pressure, leads to a decrease in heart rate (8%) in systolic blood pressure (8%) and diastolic blood pressure (7%). The daily dose results in improvement within the fourth week and it stays maintained until the 12th week after the intake;
- Improved vasoreactivity in healthy men, who have variations in blood flow and blood supply. In order to achieve such a result, a person should take 140 mg chlorogenic acid regularly within 4 months. There is a drastic change in the reactive hyperemia (69%) which is a sign of the restored blood supply;
- Significant lowering of the homocysteine levels after 4 months of usage of 140 mg chlorogenic acid. This is one of the main factors why green coffee is considered cardioprotective;
- Studies on people show conflicting results on the impact of green coffee on carbohydrate metabolism. There has been a positive effect on improving insulin sensitivity and lowering blood sugar at this stage. Only in people with insulin resistance high doses of chlorogenic acid may indicate a minimum lowering of their blood sugar. The main impact of green coffee is the improvement of glycemic control, reflected in slowing the collapse of carbohydrates into glucose and improving their uptake by the body. A slight decrease in insulin secretion has been found as a secondary effect.
- There are some potential benefits that help fat burning but at this stage, we have only uncertain and limited data. There are five studies performed on humans and only three of them show taken measures before and after. Only one of these 3 studies is considered to be independent, while the other two are strongly influenced by commercial companies. One of the independent researches does not find a positive effect on body fat and the other one shows a decrease of 3.6% at 12 weeks of usage by obese people. A positive effect is possible but it is relatively moderate and can be seen in individuals with obesity and health problems;
- Green coffee leads to mood and cognitive function improvement in adults. It was found that chlorogenic acid has an effect that is independent, similar to that of caffeine but with significantly less potent than caffeine. However, the real impact exists.
The recommended intake of green coffee extract, which provides a specific dosage chlorogenic acid, can vary between 120 and 300 mg. You should therefore always comply with the extract and its concentration of the active ingredient.
An optimal dose hasn’t been found at this stage but in most cases, the recommended one is 300 mg chlorogenic acid daily. This means that when using the most popular types of the extract with 50% chlorogenic acid content, it is sufficient to take 500-800 mg daily.
Contraindications and Side Effects
The green coffee extract shows no side effects and is considered safe. Green coffee should not be used only by persons with an allergy to green coffee. A small percentage of users show an allergic reaction to the respiratory tract when taking green coffee.
This allergy occurs in green coffee kinds such as Coffee arabica, Coffee canephora (robusta) and Coffee liberica. The active ingredient of chlorogenic acid is not the cause of allergies and does not cause any side effects.
Most green coffee extracts contain small amounts of caffeine, up to 12-15 mg per capsule. Even small amounts of caffeine may be contraindicated for individuals with a strong sensitivity to the stimulant and by thus can cause excitability, insomnia, and anxiety. Green coffee extract is not recommended to pregnant and breastfeeding women due to a lack of data for safe dosage.
How to Combine Green Coffee Beans Extract
Chlorogenic acid connects with zinc in the intestines and accelerates its disposal from the body, so it is not appropriate to combine the green coffee extract with zinc and other minerals such as iron.
Although scientists can prove few details for the combination of green coffee with other supplements, such successful combinations with other additives with similar properties are possible to exist.
No one can say with certainty, though, what would be the possible synergistic effect. Green coffee is extremely effective in lowering blood pressure and therefore can be combined suitably with resveratrol, grape seed extract, and vitamin C.
Green coffee can serve as a very good heart protector and can be combined again with Vitamin C and resveratrol, as well as garlic, hawthorn and fish oil. Green coffee can be combined with creatine, fenugreek, and alpha-lipoic acid for improving glycemic control.
Where Can We Find Green Coffee Extract
Green coffee can be found as a standalone product. The most popular extract has 50% chlorogenic acid content. Extracts with low caffeine content and also decaffeinated ones can be found on the market today.
The extract concentration per tablet ranges between 200 and 500 mg. Extracts with 50% chlorogenic acid content are - NOW Foods Green Coffee Diet Support and Primaforce Green Coffee Bean.
Green coffee extract is also found in a number of burners which are most commonly thermogenics - such as MuscleTech Hydroxycut Elite, BPI Keto-XT, Controlled Labs Red Acid Reborn, and Universal Animal Cuts.