The bench press is one of the best pieces of equipment that you can use to challenge your strength and grit at the gym. On the flip side, this is also the activity that is most likely to result in a lot of muscle injuries.
This is especially true for those who push themselves hard to become better and better. There is a lot of debate on the matter of whether or not elbow wraps for bench press actually pose a benefit for someone lifting those heavyweights. We are going to take a look at this.
Safety measures are a must
If you are someone who is really into bodybuilding, you know that it is ideal to take as many safety precautions as you can to make sure you perform well without hurting yourself in the process.
Elbow Sleeve Recovery Compression
by Mava Sports
Mava Sports Elbow Sleeve Recovery Compression Highlights:
- COMFORTABLE FIT – Lightweight, compact and low-profile, our Elbow Compression Sleeves can even be worn under clothing to help you power through the entire day. The superior quality of the Protection Sleeves assures adequate support, keeping you comfortable no matter the action you're doing.
- TARGETED ELBOW PAIN RELIEF AND INJURY PREVENTION – Protection against Tennis and Golf Elbow, Forearm Tendonitis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Arthritis, and Arm Hyperextension Pain. Our Support Brace expedites recovery and provides instant relief, applying targeted compression to the problematic area. Your elbow will not only recover faster, but with our Support Compression Sleeves you will also avoid elbow injuries.
- QUALITY PAD COMPRESSION – Lightweight, breathable and exceptionally effective, our Elbow Compression Brace exceeds any terms of comfort and efficacy and can be worn all day, no worries. The Support Wear Sleeves are soft enough to feel comfortable and prevent irritation but firm enough to provide adequate support.
- PERFECT FOR SPORTS AND EVERYDAY WEAR – Our Tennis Elbow Support Sleeve is a foolproof choice and a performance booster for those engaged in sports requiring multiple, repetitive hand motions, such as Cross Training, Weightlifting, Powerlifting, Basketball, Gym Workouts, Golf, Tennis, Rowing, Bowling and any other activity that can cause elbow pain. MATERIAL
- COMPOSITION: bamboo charcoal fiber, spandex and latex.
Bodybuilders use different wraps throughout their bodybuilding regimen to get that extra support they need. They need them to keep up with the activity without suffering injuries.
While some traditionalists might not think that using elbow wraps is a fair part of the whole bodybuilding regimen (if they work), it is perfectly fine to use elbow wraps.
There are situations where elbow wraps for bench press are recommended
Using one while you are getting back into bodybuilding after injuring your elbow, for instance, is a great idea.
Ideally, using an elbow wrap for bench press is something you should do when you are attempting a single bench press with plenty of weight on it. These wraps provide some additional safety and security to your elbows with the pressure they put on the muscles in that area.
A lot of athletes also choose to alternate their use of elbow wraps so that they are able to maintain a good balance. Then there are athletes who feel that every workout should rely on the use of wraps and then perform two more workouts without the wraps.
Elbow wraps do not help lift more weight
There is a general misconception that a lot of people have about using elbow wraps for bench press. They believe that elbow wraps can allow them to lift more weight. That is the wrong idea. There is no scientific proof backing the assertion that these wraps can help you do that.
If you approach the use of elbow wraps with the inclination that they will give you “some” extra support while you’re doing the bench press, then that’s fine. You see, when you use elbow wraps for bench press, you are able to take your mind off of the elbow joints knowing that they have additional support.
You can focus on other aspects of the bench press without worrying about your elbow joints. This may or may not allow you to add on a little extra weight but it comes as no guarantee and it is crucial that you remember that.
Whether you choose to wear elbow wraps for bench press for every workout or alternate wearing them between workouts, just remember that you should never go overboard with increasing the weight you’re lifting. You should be attentive to your body and what it tells you about whether or not you should increase the weight you’re lifting.